Registration instructions for a citizen of another country

Registering as a job seeker involves several stages. Go through all the stages carefully to keep your job search valid. Based on your registration, the TE Office or the local government pilot will issue a labour policy statement on your right to unemployment security. If your job search is interrupted, your entitlement to unemployment security ends.

If you become unemployed or are laid off, register as a job seeker as soon as possible. The registration can be made in advance before the unemployment or lay-off begins. However, do so no later than on your first day of unemployment, because you can only receive an unemployment benefit from the registration date.

You can register as a job seeker using an online form, the telephone service or at the TE Office's premises.

Read more
More information

Registration using an online form

If you are not a citizen of Finland, an EU or an EEA country or Switzerland, you can register as a job seeker only if you have a valid residence permit. Residence permits are granted by the Finnish Immigration Service.

You can register as a job seeker using an online form if

  • you have not been a customer of TE Services before and
  • you are at least 16 years old.

Please note that the form does not work in Internet Explorer.

More information

If you cannot use the online form, register as a job seeker on the telephone service or at the TE Office's premises.

If you are a new job seeker and you do not have the opportunity to complete an online form, visit the TE Office in person. Bring your ID and a valid residence permit.

Fill in the requested information carefully

  • Check that your contact information is correct. It is important that the TE Office or the local government pilot can contact you.
  • Report any changes that you are aware of, such as your employment relationships or studies beginning in the following three months. Report only changes that are fully confirmed.
  • Describe your employment history. Please complete the employment end dates and reasons. Also mention your possible previous or current entrepreneurial activities in your work history. Any incomplete information may need to be checked by means of a request for clarification or by telephone, so the processing of your matter may be delayed if you have not provided the information carefully.
  • Report your education history and study completion dates. You must also report incomplete studies for which you do not have a diploma or a notice of discontinuation of studies.
  • Remember to also report working as a family caregiver or being self-employed, such as freelance work. If necessary, use the ‘Additional information’ field.

Please note that after registration, you will no longer be able to change the work history or education information you have provided.

You must also indicate where you are applying for unemployment security. If you are a member of an unemployment fund and the employment condition is met, you apply for unemployment security from your fund. Otherwise, Kela will pay you an unemployment benefit. The TE Office or the local government pilot issues a labour policy statement to the payer regarding your right to unemployment security.

More information

You must be prepared to apply for and accept full-time work that corresponds to your work ability in order to be eligible for unemployment security or integration services.

Once you have submitted the registration, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt that will include the information you submitted, the period for which your job search is valid and instructions on how to proceed. It states that you will be contacted without delay. Read it carefully. 

Your job search will be valid until further notice after you have received the notification of receipt. 

You can also see in the notification of receipt whether you are a customer of a TE Office or a local government pilot. You are a customer of a TE Office if the notification of receipt you have received does not state that you will be transferred to a local government pilot on employment. 

If necessary, our service specialists will provide you with instructions in the E-services chat.

Note the following

  • We try to process your registration within 14 days.
  • You do not need to send attachments. The TE Office or the local government pilot will request appendices, such as diplomas and employment certificates, if necessary.
  • If your employment relationship has ended during a trial period or at your own request, or if you have been dismissed, the TE Office or the local government pilot will submit a clarification request to you. You will be notified by mail or text message.
  • If necessary, the TE Office or the local government pilot will request additional information on your studies or business activities by means of a clarification request. You will be notified of this by mail or text message.
  • The response time to the clarification request is 14 days. The clarification request will be processed within 30 days of your response.

First visit to the TE Office

When you first come to the TE Office, take with you

  • a passport or a certificate from the police of temporary passport seizure,
  • your residence permit,
  • an extract from the population register from the Digital and Population Data Services Agency or a Kela card or other document that you use to prove that you have a Finnish personal identity code and
  • certificates of employment and education translated into Finnish, Swedish, or English.

Always actively seek work yourself. When you are a job seeker in TE Services, be prepared to accept the work or training that your expert offers you.

You can apply for an unemployment benefit either from your unemployment fund or from Kela. Unemployment benefits will only be paid for the period when you are registered as a job seeker at the TE Services. 

Re-register as an unemployed jobseeker also after completing labour market training or a pay subsidy period. 

This website is part of the European Commission's Your Europe portal. Did you find what you were looking for? Give feedback! (