Didn't get a study place? There are many options for taking the next step


Don’t feel discouraged even if you did not manage to get a study place in the joint application process in the spring. You have access to a wide range of services and various curricula to help you take the next steps in your education or career.

When you want to get into upper secondary education, you can apply for preparatory training for an upper secondary qualification (TUVA). The training lasts a year or less and gives you the skills needed for general upper secondary education or vocational education. You can apply to TUVA regardless of your age, as long as you have completed comprehensive school.

If you are interested in higher education studies, you can still apply for a study place in the joint application process for higher education in the autumn (4 September–14 September). In addition, you can study at an open university of applied sciences or an open university. Many higher education institutions offer courses that are open to everyone and can help you get a glimpse into a field that interests you. Studies completed as open studies are often recognised as part of a degree if you later get a study place in the same field. The average course fee for one course is a few dozen euros. As a student in open studies, you can not receive student’s financial aid, as the studies are considered part-time.

Vocational education and training and adult education schools also offer diverse teaching in different fields. You can also consider whether studying abroad would be interesting for you. Keep an open mind when you think about different options. There is rarely only one right way to a certain profession.

Professional support

It is also worth noting that you do not have to think about your educational and professional future alone. TE Services provide national advice on education, which will provide you with help in applying for education, finding a degree programme that interests you, and utilising various benefits. For example, when you are under the age of 25, you can apply for unemployment security if you apply for at least two study places for a degree programme starting the next autumn.

Read more

More information